Home Home About Me Products Freebies Contact Pinterest TPT Bloglovin Instagram Facebook

Sunday, July 28, 2013

What Pet to Get? and a freebie

Yesterday I posted some questions about teaching children with little or no verbal skills how to read.  One of the questions was about comprehension.  Often, these children have not had an opportunity to respond to books that are read to them.  How do you test if a child understands the beginning, middle and end of a story when they can't verbally tell you?  For our students, is one reading of a book enough?

For my first unit of the year, I will be doing pets.  Most children have a pet at home or at least have the experience of someone they know with a pet.  I've picked three books to do a more in-depth study of.

         What Pet to Get?    One More PetCat's Colors


The first book I've done activities for is "What Pet to Get?" by Emma Dodd.

I wanted to make my own communication boards for the activities.  At the beginning of the year most of my children don't have their own communication systems in place.  If they do, they are very basic.  When we start talking about different books, they often don't have the pictures they need to answer my questions.  These are the activities I've made for "What Pet to Get?".









If you want to grab the whole unit, it will be on sale for 1/2 price for the next few days.
Click on the picture below to grab it.



2 comments:

Rae said...

Wow! I love this mini book study! I have added it to my cart!!

Rae
Mindful Rambles

Mr Fix It said...

my pets lovers