Home Home About Me Products Freebies Contact Pinterest TPT Bloglovin Instagram Facebook

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Daily 5 Chapter 2

I am linking up with Kindergarten Smiles for chapter 2 of the Daily 5 book study.  At this time of the year I give my students a lot of choice but at the beginning I run a pretty tight ship.  I'm thinking that I can/should give them more control towards the beginning of the year.  Here are my thoughts.



Even though we didn't do Daily 5 this year and I didn't touch on the "why" at all.  (I need to do that next year for sure), here is what my kids came up with when I asked them these questions.
 I just jotted down a few read alouds.  I LOVE books and I have about a million of them in my class.  I need to totally organize them and separate the ones that would be good in the children's boxes and those that I'm going to read as read alouds.

7 comments:

The Daily Alphabet said...

I also have a problem with giving them free choice from the beginning, it's something that I'm going to have to really think about and plan!

Angela
The Daily Alphabet

Caitlin said...

I don't know if I would be okay with just letting them have snack whenever they are hungry, etc. That would be tough for me!! I love your students responses to the 'why' we do these things. So cute!

Caitlin
Kindergarten Smiles

Jeannie said...

Mandy I love your post - especially your Purpose chart -- giving reason why instead of "because I said so". Thank you!!
jeannie
Kindergarten Lifestyle

Mary said...

I use lots of printable readers for D5 as well, it gives me more options. That might help for you as well.

PS- snack that early!!! WOW
Mary
Sharing Kindergarten

Learning with Mrs. Brinn said...

I love how you asked students the importance of each part of Daily5! Great responses!

Marsha McGuire said...

Mandy, you have such a unique situation. I'm really anxious to see how you work this into your classroom.
Marsha
A Differentiated Kindergarten

Sue said...

I incorporated a "modified" Daily 5 with my K-1 Structured Learning Class this year and LOVED it! We took a bit longer to introduce all of the rotations (had covered them all by December) so it was more of a gradual release to help the kids learn personal responsibility. I had several teachers from other schools visit my program at the end of the school year, and they were just blown away by how independently my students worked. Next year I will have K-3 in my room, and plan to do Daily 5 again. Kids of all functioning levels can benefit from learning a bit of independence :)